How to get started with digitisation
The ongoing digitalisation cannot be ignored as it is permeating more and more industries. As a result, business models, products and processes in companies are changing. The topic of digitalisation is currently advancing to become one of the top issues in many companies, but it is by no means easily achieved. The following points should be kept in mind:
Don’t leave digitisation to IT alone
A digitalisation project cannot simply be delegated to the IT department. This was and still is often done with regard to the choice and implementation of ERP systems. Yet ERP systems are considered an important element of successfully implemented digitalisation. Although IT plays a central role in the digital strategy, it is not advisable to leave the entire digitalisation issue to a single department as it has too far-reaching an importance for companies. The various topics of digitalisation are too multifaceted, so that it is not sufficient to cover only the technological understanding by the IT department. In addition, internal IT is usually busy with its core business. Consequently, a digitisation strategy must be supported across departments and technological, strategic, personnel and structural components must be interlinked.
Therefore, a structured approach is necessary to unleash the potential of digitalisation. This approach is determined by three central insights:
- There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Every company is different and every concrete situation requires different approaches and solutions.
- Digitisation affects the entire company.
- Nevertheless, initial initiatives and pilot projects in individual departments are important. Procurement in particular is ideally suited for a digitisation project, which can then be expanded as a lighthouse project.
Why a structured approach is important for a digitisation strategy
- A clear and structured approach is the central basis for a successful digital transformation at all levels.
- A coordinated and prioritised breakdown into digitisation initiatives avoids overlaps and optimises the use of resources.
- Data-driven topics are relevant across departments. For example, improved master data management through automation tools leads to synergy effects for the entire company.
- The implementation of digital innovation is only possible if the necessary conditions for digitalisation are created. For this, the digital transformation in the company must be managed in a targeted manner.
Success factors for a digitalisation project in procurement
Establish a structured approach. Define clear responsibilities and start with a scalable entry project. Set long-term goals that you achieve by working with reliable innovation partners. The focus should be on long-term transformation processes. It is advisable to rely on future-proof modules and flexible platforms. Cloud-based AI solutions in particular can automate and digitise purchasing quickly and cost-efficiently.
Do you want to digitalise your procurement? Download Netfira’s free checklist now, which will help you to successfully implement your procurement digitalisation project in five steps.
Rapid advancements in digital technologies allow purchasing to use future-proof automation solutions to drive corporate innovation through process automation.
Although high data quality is crucial for successful operational processes, purchasing struggles with poor data quality. The Netfira Platform solves this problem by automating the manual processes where data originates.
Like most teams worldwide, the Covid-19 pandemic caused great disruption to the way we go about our day-to-day work. In response to this we launched the Netfira Coffee Chat to support our team members to stay connected around the world despite lockdowns, working from home and isolation.
Subscribe to newsletter
Stay up to date with Netfira’s blog posts, news, updates, initiatives and more.
By clicking subscribe you agree to be placed on the Netfira newsletter mailing list. You can opt-out at any time via email.